Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lost and Found in a Lost World

Writers who do it for a living always sit down and write even when they don't feel like it or, perhaps have nothing special to say. They hope something eventually comes through from wherever inspiration comes for that particular writer.

Even though I don't write for a living--what a challenge that would be--I feel that I should try to add to this blog that has provided so much food for thought for myself, mostly, on a weekly basis. Additionally, I note through Google Analytics that the unlikeliest visitors occasionally spend five, ten or even 15 minutes on one of my past posts.

My title is a play on the Moody Blues song, "Lost in a Lost World." When it came out I thought how telling that the song's composer recognized his lost status. Over the years I used to take note of other song titles or passages in novels that spoke of supposedly "lost" people being cognizant of their lost condition. I'm reminded vaguely of two characters in Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf who realized they were lost, but had no idea what to do about it.

Another lost song snippet from the past that comes to mind is Steppenwolf's (the rock group) "Let's just hope there is a promised land. We'll hang on till then, as best as we can."

I was always told that irreligious folk didn't care about their lost condition, but here and there I'm reminded of instances where that is not really true.

Not all people know how to find God. It's not as easy as religious people seem to think it is. Sometimes "lost" folk have to wait until God finds them.

Lord, that's my prayer today. Please find the "lost" people in my world. Even better, use me to find them with you. Thank you, Lord, for putting that desire into my mind.

Over and out.

No comments: